Sunday, October 7, 2007

National Holiday Week - Oct 1-7th


The hard beds on the train


The "hard bed" carriage on the train



Outside the most famous Nan (flat bread) store in Urumqi


The dried grapes that are famous from this area


Urumqi City


A sign showing 3 of the languages used in Urumqi - English, Mandarin and Uyghur



We very lucky and had a whole week off classes due to National Holidays. I elected to travel to Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. With 3 other delegates I left Lanzhou on the 1st and headed into the west. The train ride to the capital, Urumqi, was around 20 hours. I wasn't quite sure what to expect about the train ride. Initially the waiting room at Lanzhou Station seemed to confirm my suspicions that I was not in for a comfortable ride. However I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the time passed and I would definitely recommend traveling by train around China. We had hard beds on the train, although to be honest I'm not sure that they were any harder than our usual beds! Urumqi is a bustling, modern city. A large number of minority groups inhabit the city (officially 13 ethnic groups) and this makes Urumqi and Xinjiang a very interesting place to visit. Aside from anything else the food in this area is very good! We also visited Turfan for a couple of days. This area is abundant with tourist attractions definitely worth a visit.

No comments: